Thursday, January 9, 2014

Where Do I Start??



First of all, let me warn you that I have never blogged before. For that matter, I’ve never even kept a journal so this is all very foreign to me.  More than likely it’s going to sound like gibberish.  The main reason I wanted to start a blog is for me, so I can document the changes I see in my son.  It will also keep our families and friends up to date on Drew’s progress.  I have also decided to make this blog public so that if there are other families out there struggling it is my hope that this blog will be helpful to them.
So…where do I start?  It all started in 1996 when this girl met this guy and they fell in love…just kidding (about going back so far, not the falling in love).  My husband, Matt, and I have been married 15 years and we have 3 children; Taylor, Abby and Drew.  Drew is the reason for this blog.
He was born with Macrocephaly (an enlarged head), a diffusely thin corpus collosum (the channel between the right and left hemispheres), diminished white matter and what they call communicating external hydrocephalus (extra cranial fluid in the canals outside the brain).  We learned all of this between 9 months and 2 years of age.  At 3 he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, an Autism Spectrum Disorder.    He also has sensory processing disorder and GI problems.  He has been on Miralax every day since he was about 9 months old.  There’s so much more but I won’t bore you with any more details.  He is now 9 years old.
Matt and I have always said “no regrets” when it comes to his care.  Which brings us to Brain Balance (BB).  I had 2 different people who don’t know each other tell me about BB.  When this happens I don’t find it a coincidence so I looked into it.  I took Drew down to a Brain Balance Center in Atlanta for an evaluation in July 2013.  We were told that he was right brain delayed (I’ll explain that later).  We didn’t start right away because we didn’t know how we would pay for it.  We finally decided that we couldn’t afford not to do it…”no regrets”.

No comments:

Post a Comment