Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Little Bit Rocky

Today was kind of a tough day for me.  Drew was being very stubborn and was not very nice to Adeline.  And for some reason this made me very emotional.  This happens to me every once in a while and then I have to put my big girl panties on and get over it.  It's just so hard knowing how much we have put into this program to see slow progress.  I was in tears at the center after watching Drew being so stubborn and not cooperating with Coach Suzanne.  Jessica asked me why I was crying.  I told her it's just so hard to still see that behavior.  She said that behavior and academics come last in the process and that parents struggle with this the most.  And that we should celebrate even the small changes we are seeing because it means we are making new pathways and what we are doing is working.  Jessica has to be one of the kindest hearted people I have ever met and you can feel the passion she has for this program and the kids every time you talk to her.  Her voice has such a calming effect on me.  Let's move on, shall we?

Today we went to the movies and saw Horton Hears a Who.  The theater down the street from the center has $2 movies on Tuesdays.  And while that isn't the ideal thing for us to do (it's a left brain activity, not good for right brain delay) we are running out of cheap things to do!  Drew did not want to go but once we got there he did great.  I think he stresses out about how he thinks things are going to go.  Then we went and had lunch at a place where kids eat free on Tuesdays.  It was great!  All except the part where the server dumped a cup of ice in Abby's lap.  But at least her lunch was free!  Drew had his session at 2 and then we came home and went swimming, had dinner and did BB exercises.

There's a couple of things I forgot to post about yesterday.

We were at my mom's over the weekend.  He says "Mommy, I need your help".  He was on her computer trying to create an account on monkeyquest.com.  In the user name field he typed "Drew Howell" and in the password field he typed "momme".

We live on 10 acres in the country so when we are swimming at home and Drew needs to pee, he hops out of the pool and pees in the grass.  Yesterday, while we were at the pool with Amanda and Adeline he got out of the pool and started pulling his pants down headed for the grass.  I redirected him to the bathroom. Then he was standing in the kiddie pool and I look over and he's starting to pull his pants down again!  I nearly died!  I stopped him and took him to the bathroom. He was very interested in the 10 ft section of the pool.  He kept looking down at the bottom of the pool.

Bullets from today:
  • On the way to the movies, Adeline says "Look mommy IHop."  Drew then says "U Hop".  Then that back and forth went on a few times.
  • We were getting ready to go to the pool and he says "Can we take megazord to the pool?"   
  • While he was in the tub he started crying and I asked him why he was crying.  Usually the answer is I don't know or I'm sad.  Tonight he said "I'm sad".  So I asked him why he was sad.  He pointed to his leg and said hurt.  I said why does your leg hurt and he said "Cactus Tree."  Him and Abby had a mishap on the four wheeler and they ended up in very thorny bushes.  They were both fine just a few scratches.  This is the first time he has been able to tell me how he got hurt. 
  • We were doing his exercises and he kept quoting from something he has seen on TV (this is called scripting) and we tell him No TV talk to try to stop him.  He looks at me and says "iPad talk". 
  • His metronome program has a demo of the exercises he has to do.  When he first started the metronome I would show him the demo video.  Then I phased that out.  Tonight he says "I want to see the demo."
  • While we were swimming he says "I'm not leaving here without my daddy."
Tomorrow we are going to BB, having a picnic lunch and going bowling.

Until next time,





Playing with Blair


No comments:

Post a Comment